“The Last Civil War Soldier” buried in St. Joseph County will be recognized with a grave side dedication and ceremony September 21, 2019.
The ceremony and dedication will take place at 2:00 PM (EDT) in the New Carlisle Cemetery.
Everyone is invited to attend and experience a unique opportunity to step back in time to the 1860’s as the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, (SUVCW) assisted by the Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic, (LGAR) dedicate the grave of the last Union Civil War Soldier to be buried in St. Joseph County!
The “Last Soldier” is a project begun by the National Organization of the SUVCW to mark every grave of the Last Union Civil War Soldier in every county in every state.
The Department of Indiana, SUVCW has marked or identified the graves of the “Last Soldier” in 72 of Indiana’s 92 counties. Each grave is marked with a plaque or special marker designating that Union Soldier as being the last one to be buried in that county.
“The Last Soldier” of St. Joseph County was the Reverend George Streeter. He was a Private who served in Co. H, 10th NY Heavy Artillery. He Enlisted: February 2, 1864 and was honorably Discharged August 25, 1865. The Reverend Streeter was born in Watertown, New York on February 24, 1848 and died December 24, 1944 at 96 years of age.
George R. Streeter joined the Wm. H. Calkins Grand Army of the Republic Post, Department of Indiana, No. 502, located in Hammond, Lake County Indiana, in 1908.
He served as post commander in 1915 and also served as post chaplain and patriotic instructor. He also served in various department positions such as patriotic instructor, inspector, and chaplain.
The Reverend Streeter was a Methodist Minister who served the Methodist Church in Hammond, Indiana, until the time of his death.
The general public is invited and encouraged to attend. New Carlisle Town and St. Joseph County officials are scheduled to be present and speak briefly. The dedication is being sponsored by the John Auten Camp 8, of the SUVCW. They will be joined by SUVCW members from Indiana and Michigan.
Also participating in the event will be the Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic (LGAR) Circle #78 of Elkhart, Indiana.
The honor guard, who will be presenting the colors and directing the firing of muskets in a salute, will be provided by the Sons of Veterans Reserve (SVR), the honor guard branch of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) is a fraternal organization dedicated to preserving the history and legacy of veteran heroes who fought and worked to save the Union in the American Civil War.
Organized in 1881 and chartered by Congress in 1954, SUVCW is the legal heir and successor to the Grand Army of the Republic.
In 1866, Union Veterans of the Civil War organized into the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) and became a social and political force that would control the destiny of the nation for more than six decades.
Membership in the veterans’ organization was restricted to individuals who had served in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Revenue Cutter Service during the Civil War, thereby limiting the life span of the GAR. The GAR existed until 1956.
In 1881, the GAR formed the Sons of Veterans of the United States of America (SV) to carry on its traditions and memory long after the GAR had ceased to exist.
Membership was open to any man who could prove ancestry to a member of the GAR or to a veteran eligible for membership in the GAR.
In later years, men who did not have the ancestry to qualify for hereditary membership, but who demonstrated a genuine interest in the Civil War and could subscribe to the purpose and objectives of the SUVCW, were admitted as Associates. This practice continues today.
Many GAR Posts sponsored Camps of the SV. In 1925 the SV name was changed to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW), under which its federal charter was issued in 1954. The SUVCW is legally recognized as the heir to, and representative of, the GAR.
Today, the National Organization of the SUVCW, headed by an annually elected Commander-in-Chief, oversees the operation of 26 Departments, each consisting of one or more states, a Department-at-Large, a National Membership-at-Large, and over 200 community based camps.
More than 6,360 men enjoy the benefits of membership in the only male organization dedicated to the principles of the GAR — Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty. It publishes “The BANNER” quarterly for its members. The SUVCW National Headquarters is located in the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. (For more on the National Organization www.SUVCW.org )
The SUVCW is one of five Allied Orders of the GAR. The other four Orders are: Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic, Woman’s Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
Sons of Veterans Reserve
The Sons of Veterans Reserve (SVR) is the ceremonial uniformed military component of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW). The National Military Department of the SVR consists of the General Staff and seven geographical Military Districts across the nation. SVR Units participate in Civil War related ceremonies, parades, living history programs, and re-enactments.
Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic
The Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic, Inc. is a Congressionally Chartered non-profit organization, and is the oldest women’s hereditary organization in the United States.
The original objectives of the organization included promotion of patriotism and loyalty to the Union, and participation in community service, especially for the aid of our Veterans and their dependents.
Today’s objectives are still the same, with great emphasis on promotion of patriotism, education, and preservation of history.